Oct 24, 2017
Applikey Editorial Team
Is there anyone on Earth who does not like listening to music? It’s likely that each of us probably has a couple of performers whose tracks we are ready to listen to on repeat. If you analyze this tendency from the point of view of the Android software developer, you can conclude that building a music streaming app is an incredibly promising area of activity that can bring great popularity and considerable profits.
Currently, the digital recording sales are on the rise. According to IFPI, in 2016 around 50% of all music sales were digital. Statista’s report states that the amount of online music paid subscriptions in the US grew by 50% in the last year - from 20 to 30 millions.
Mobile music applications can be attributed to five different types:
- Track recognition apps;
- Player apps;
- Downloading apps;
- Tune creation apps; and,
- Online streaming apps.
In this article, we will discuss the latter kind of applications, and find out how to make a music app for Android.
Read also: How to Develop a Video Streaming App
Tips for Making a Popular Streaming App
Before proceeding to describe the process of music app development, let us determine which attributes are characteristic for the same.
- Profile orientation and personalization capabilities. The vast majority of modern applications are profile-oriented. This means that, as part of their operation, users can create their own profiles, indicating some information about themselves (the most primitive option being a combination of a unique nickname and avatar). The popularity of this application format is due to the fact that almost everyone tends to demonstrate their uniqueness in the eyes of others, with favorite tracks indicating the tastes of the user. To take this even further, many developers provide functionality that allows for customization of the user's personal cabinet (set an individual theme, allow adding a photo-avatar, upload audio and video recordings from a personal archive, etc.).
- Ability to download and store music. Of course, any media application significantly loses its value if it does not provide for the possibility of downloading and storing media as, in the absence of an Internet connection, users would simply not be able to access their favorite tracks. As for storage, the correct structure would include at least two methods for saving - on the server (cloud storage) and on the user's personal device.
- Capability for integration with social media. Having found a really cool track, the user will probably want to share it with others. The easiest way to make this happen is through a social network account. Therefore, when creating a streaming app, it is highly recommended you think about ways to integrate it with known social networks.
- Capability for communication between users. Let us return to the first point - profile orientation and personalization capabilities. The ability to leave comments allows users to personalize their experience even moreso, and the ability to look for friends by interests is also another step in the right direction. In addition, your app can include forums with topics about music trends, events, and artists.
- Unique features. Music is such a popular topic in software development that, even having created an application that is completely novel in its functionality, you are still highly likely to attract a considerable audience. Nevertheless, we propose you move forward with creating at least one unique function that, in the long term, will serve as an example for many similar applications (as the developers of the already closed Beats Music project have done, with music that is based on user’s moods, etc.).
- Similar music search. The easiest way to increase the number of users is to maximize the activity of those that already exist. This can be done very simply – by proposing tracks that are similar to those already added to the user's playlist.
- Stylish design. Design is one of the fundamental factors that directly affects the popularity of the streaming application. Having developed a modern interface, according to the principles of Material Design, and a set of stylistic rules inherent for the Android platform, you are most likely to get a truly fashionable and downloadable software product.
How to Create a Music App for Android in Four Steps
Above, we reviewed the main attributes of music streaming Android apps. Now, let us touch on the four points that every developer should keep in mind when making the decision to create a custom software solution.
1. Selecting Data Storage Methods
When planning to develop a music streaming app, you will have to think over options for storing downloaded tunes. Most often, cloud storage or local caching on smartphones are used; however, you can employ a bit of a trick in your application by attaching user profiles to the corresponding pages in social networks, to benefit further from attached depositories.
2. Creating a Minimum Set of Features to Ensure Viability of the Product
Summarizing the above, we can argue that the mandatory attributes for music streaming apps are such features as user profile based registration, multi-criteria search, downloading and caching the media, offline playback, and social media sharing.
3. Getting Music Licenses
Legislative implications are a rather complicated issue. Note that the main advantage of streaming applications is the ability to listen to tracks favorited by other users free of charge, within the law, and online (to confirm the validity of your actions, contact SESAC if you are promoting your application in European countries and ASCAP or BMI in the US). Nevertheless, if you plan to implement the ability to download tracks, you will have to worry about legitimating the library within your application.
4. Selecting a Monetization Method
Of course, the ultimate goal of creating any application is to earn money. Therefore, an important part of its development will be the selection of monetization methods. Whatever you choose, do not be greedy. A paid application that additionally employs advertisements is a practice that discourages users. Even if your application is unique in functionality and has no rivals yet, the competition will, sooner or later, arise and even such a subtle difference as a lesser amount of ads can be reason enough for users to choose the alternative product over yours.
Top Five Music Streaming Apps
Let us look at the top five successful music streaming apps, created for iOS and Android platforms, and concepts of which may inspire you to create your unique mobile solution.
- Pandora. The mobile streaming application Pandora is a unique personalized experience and method for listening to online songs. The function of automatic musical collection generation based on individual user tastes allows users to listen to new music without searching for new tracks. That’s not it, though - Pandora offers more! You can also choose any genre or band that you like most and immediately receive a whole list of songs that might be of interest to you. In addition, by purchasing a Premium subscription, you have the ability to download tracks and remove annoying ads.
- Spotify. The stylishly designed Spotify mobile application provides access to your favorite music from anywhere in the world with access to the Internet. Users can choose to listen to arbitrary tracks and vice versa, and create their own playlists made up of their favorite artists. Thanks to its huge and completely free platform for listening to melodies, Spotify has received a lot of fans and gained active users around the world.
- IHeart Radio. IHeart Radio is a mobile application that provides free access to over 1,500 online radio stations, allowing fans of absolutely any musical genre to find whatever they like. This application is not just appealing to audiophiles; with news, talk shows, interviews - this list goes on and offers something to everyone listening to iHeart Radio.
- Sound Cloud. If you follow trends, including musical ones, Sound Cloud is exactly what you need. You can create your own playlists, inspired by both your tastes and song preferences of your friends or favorite musicians. Registration in Sound Cloud is extremely simple and can be done using Google or a Facebook account.
- Beats Music. Blocked from public access in 2014 by Apple, the Beats Music mobile application for iPhone allows users to listen to their favorite tracks both on and offline (if the user has downloaded them in advance). Beats Music was one of the fundamental software solutions that were first to employ the automatic generation of playlists based on user moods.
Cost to Develop a Music App: Evaluating Development Stages
Now, let’s discuss the cost of music streaming app development. Regardless of the complexity, its development will include the following stages:
- Engineering stage. This stage includes everything that will help to build a clear vision of future software implementation (namely, the selection of suitable tools: framework, SDK, libraries, etc.). Typically, software engineering takes no less than 80 hours.
- Coding. Obviously, writing code is one of the most time-consuming steps in the creation of a music streaming app. As practice shows, even the most primitive application with a standard set of simple functions and trivial design will take at least 720 hours.
- Testing. Since your application is designed for mass use, you will have to spend a lot of time testing the finished product. Based on real feedback and user comments, you can later release a more advanced solution that is guaranteed to attract more new users, compared to previous versions. How much beta testing will cost depends directly on what price you offer potential testers for their services. Additionally, you can place the app into a special section of Google Play. Distinguished only for test application versions, this section will provide the team with the most detailed information about bugs found and requirements of real users.
- Maintenance. Supporting the lifecycle of a released music streaming application will require an average of 15 hours, per month. Moreover, you will have to pay regular and ongoing license fees to access the tracks.
Depending on the app complexity and taking into account hourly rates of developers from ex-USSR countries, the typical music streaming app development can cost anywhere between $24000 and $60000.
Looking for an IT company to help create music streaming apps for Android?
We are ready to offer our services! Applikey Solutions is a close-knit team of professionals who have been developing applications for mobile platforms for years. At the request of the customer, we are ready to introduce the latest technologies into a created software solution, regardless of the complexity. We are a leading expert music application development company in the Ukraine. If you are burning with the desire to implement your business ideas for a startup and want to get started as soon as possible, please contact us! Fill in our form and we will be in touch with you shortly to discuss your next project.
- development Android tips
Article Rating 72 Reviews
3.8 / 5.0
We hope you enjoyed this article! It's very important for us to receive your feedback. You can use these emojis to describe your feelings.
Photo Editing App: Must-Have Features and Technologies(Video) How To Build A Android Music Streaming App | Introduction | #android | #mobileapp | #programming
How to Choose the Right Mobile App Technology Stack: Your Ultimate Guide
How to Make a Recipe and Cooking App for Android
- What Is the Internet of Things, Why Use It and How?
- Native Apps vs PWA: What to Choose?
- The Benefits of Mobile App Animation for User Experience
People also read...
- Designing The Information Architecture (IA) of Mobile Apps
- How to Build Your Own Artificial Intelligence Assistant
- How to Create an Artificial Intelligence Software
Be the first to receive helpful tips from Applikey
Fasten your seat belts, we are taking off
How much does it cost to create a music streaming app? ›
A music app usually costs $25,833 to build. However, the total cost can be as low as $10,000 or as high as $40,000. A music app with a low number of features (also known as a "minimum viable product", or MVP) will be more affordable than an app that includes all intended functionality.How much does it cost to make an app like Spotify? ›
|iOS application||Android application|
|QA / PM||$7.000||$10.000|
|Total cost (approx.)||$90.000||$105.000|
- Set the requirements and create a list of essential features.
- Hire a team of experienced developers.
- Develop an MVP version of your music streaming service.
- Get users' feedback and add advanced features.
- Upgrade the music streaming app regularly.
- Understand How Music Streaming Works. ...
- Pick Your Business Niche. ...
- Ready Your Music Library. ...
- Get Your Licensing/ Streaming Rights. ...
- Choose the Platform To Launch Your App (iOS, Android, Web) ...
- Finalize The Monetization Model (Subscription, Ad, Freemium) ...
- Estimate the Cost.
Despite the shift in how people listen to music, artists still earn payouts (albeit a lot smaller) from royalties – just like they would from physical copy sales. These streaming platforms pay the artists to put their songs on their library.Is music streaming profitable? ›
Music streaming annual revenue in United States ($bn)
There's Not Much Money to Make from Streaming
To earn revenue, music streaming services are either advertisement-supported or subscription-based. If you listen with a free account, advertisers pay the streaming service to interrupt your tunes with their ads.
You can make similar calls through the Web API to retrieve information from the Spotify catalog about artists, tracks and playlists. There is a huge amount of data available, and the best part is that it's free to access.What code is Spotify written in? ›
Native clients use a shared C++ core. The Windows/Mac client is all C++, the Android client Java and the iOS client is Objective-C.How long does it take to build an app like Spotify? ›
It uses the local storage of the device to cache the audio data. The time needed to develop an MVP of a similar music streaming app like Spotify is going to take approximately 550-600 hours of working time.
How do I make a streaming app like Spotify? ›
- Consider the main Spotify-like app features. ...
- Choose licensing type. ...
- Find music app developers. ...
- Develop an audio streaming app UI/UX design. ...
- Create audio streaming app MVP.
- Unlimited Video & Music Streaming. You have the opportunity to add an unlimited amount of songs and videos to your app for people to stream.
- Custom Background Image. You even have the option to add your own background image! ...
- App Monetization. ...
- Google Play Support.
- GarageBand (iOS) It goes without saying that GarageBand is an incredible app considering it's free to download. ...
- Groovebox (iOS) ...
- Figure (iOS) ...
- BandLab (Android/iOS) ...
- Suggester (iOS) ...
- Beat Maker Go (Android/iOS) ...
- n-Track Studio DAW 9 (Android/iOS)
- Step 1: Find Your Niche and Create USP.
- Step 2: Create a Coherent Business Plan.
- Step 3: Legal Registration & Content Licensing.
- Step 4: Find an Experienced App Development Company.
- Step 5: Decide on the Functionality for You Live Streaming App.
- Step 1 – Define your audience and their needs. ...
- Step 2 – Choose Monetization Strategies. ...
- Step 3 – Use a reliable platform for Live Streaming, Hosting and Storage. ...
- Step 4 – Create Great UI/UX Design. ...
- Step 5 – Build and Test your MVP. ...
- Step 6 – Release, maintain, improve.
- Create a Team.
- Choose an Online Video Host.
- Choose Your Content Delivery Network.
- Download SDK for iOS or Android.
- Load SDK to Mobile Development Software.
- Begin Live Streaming App Development.
- Package and Submit App.
A quality music streaming app will always help users with decent tools for organizing the music tracks and albums by genre, artists, language, category, rating, popularity, etc. The music streaming app will also allow creating playlists with queued-up songs as per their listening preference.
Spotify pays between $0.001 and $0.008 per stream to artists. This means that if your song is streamed one million times on Spotify, you can expect to earn between $1,000 and $8,000.Why is Spotify not making profit? ›
The music-streaming industry is costly. In the most literal sense, every content creator generates more profit than the company itself. Moreover, Spotify has failed to show premium subscribers their value. They are the majority source of revenue for the company, and they deserve more for that.What platform pays the most for music streams? ›
As an artist-centric streaming service, Tidal has one of the highest royalty payment rates in the music industry. Paying nearly 3 times as much as other high volume music streaming services, Tidal pays roughly $0.01284 per stream.
How much money does 1000 streams make? ›
You will make anywhere between $2 and $4 for 1000 streams on Spotify. The average pay-out per stream on Spotify is $0.003. But, how much you get paid can fluctuate between $0.001 – $0.008 per stream, depending on factors like length of stream, country of stream & paid vs free users.How much money does a song with 1 billion streams make? ›
Performers usually earn about 20-30% of the total royalty payments. This means that for every 10 thousand streams, for example, in Apple Music, the artist will receive 15-25 dollars. A million auditions, respectively, will bring 1,500 -2,500 dollars, and one billion – 1.5-2.5 million dollars.What is the future of music streaming? ›
The music industry has grown at a record rate, led by streaming and boosted by an influx of an increasingly relevant revenue source: non-DSP streaming (via platforms such as TikTok and Twitch). This growth is an indicator of a major shift in music that will define it going forward, both culturally and as a business.How much does Spotify pay per stream? ›
The streaming platform estimates there are about 65,000 artists that have released at least ten songs and have at least 10,000 monthly listeners on Spotify. How much does Spotify pay per stream? A Business Insider report from 2020 found artists earn as little as $0.0033 per stream.How do music platforms make money? ›
- Earn streaming royalties through digital distribution. ...
- Make money playing gigs. ...
- Sell band merchandise online. ...
- Collaborate with brands and other musicians. ...
- Sell beats and samples. ...
- Teach music classes or sell lessons.
Spotify, the leading music streaming platform all over the world, makes use of the Python programming language for two main segments: backend services and data analysis.Can I use Spotify API commercially? ›
Spotify is for personal, non-commercial use which means it can't be broadcast or played publicly from a business, such as radio stations, bars, restaurants, stores, dance studios, etc., see our Customer Support website for more details.What code is Shazam written in? ›
Originally Answered: What language is Shazam written in? The app on Android is most likely written in Java.What code was Netflix written? ›
Netflix has used Java and Python to deliver an exceptional customer experience at least as far back as 2013.
How is Spotify app built? ›
The Spotify Desktop client is a Windows and Mac native application that uses CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) to display a web-based user interface. That's still true today, but for the previous version of Desktop, every “page” in the client was built as a standalone “app” to run inside its own iframe.Can you build an app in 2 weeks? ›
If you are good at it, you can do it in 1-2 weeks for a smaller app, 2-3 weeks for a mid-sized app and 3-4 weeks for a bigger app. You will have to look at other apps in the market and decide what features are important for your mobile app.How fast can an app be developed? ›
Designing a simple app can take you several weeks, while a complex one requires months. Subsequently, back-end and front-end development, and testing. The average time to build apps like Uber is about 1100 hours, while apps like Calm can take 880 hours.Can you fake streams on Spotify? ›
How does Spotify detect fake streams? Spotify tracks listening habits and will flag up suspicious streams. In terms of paying for playlisting, it removes user-generated playlists that claim to offer huge stream increases in exchange for payment – so you'll just end up losing those streams anyway.How do I develop an app? ›
- Get your app idea on paper.
- Build a Native app or a PWA, based on your needs.
- Make your app using the right method for your business.
- Create an app with an app builder (no-code option)
- Test your app on iOS and Android devices.
- Submit and Publish your app on the stores.
- Audacity. Audacity is the original free DAW. ...
- Garageband. ...
- Ableton Live Lite. ...
- Tracktion Waveform Free. ...
- Pro Tools First. ...
- Ohm Studio. ...
- Cubase LE. ...
Spotify (Music App)
Producing sound that's nearly indistinguishable from a background CD player, and with genres spanning from rap to rock n' roll, Spotify's VoD (Video on Demand) suitable music is guaranteed to help liven up any streaming session.
GarageBand also happens to be one of the easiest platforms to use for making great music. It allows you to create a song with up to 255 tracks and even offers a virtual session drummer.How does BandLab make money? ›
BandLab Technologies doesn't charge for its software or digital musical content, but instead focuses on retail, manufacturing and media advertising sales.What software should I use to make music? ›
- Ableton. ...
- Avid Pro Tools. ...
- PreSonus Studio One. ...
- Audacity. ...
- Waveform Pro & Free. ...
- Steinberg Cubase. ...
- Reaper. ...
- iZotope Music Production Suite.
How can I create my own Android app? ›
- Step 1: Install Android Studio. ...
- Step 2: Open a New Project. ...
- Step 3: Edit the Welcome Message in the Main Activity. ...
- Step 4: Add a Button to the Main Activity. ...
- Step 5: Create a Second Activity. ...
- Step 6: Write the Button's "onClick" Method. ...
- Step 7: Test the Application. ...
- Step 8: Up, Up, and Away!
As music-making on the go becomes more and more popular, mobile music software and apps are becoming increasingly advanced. We're now starting to see intelligent beat making music apps which mean, aside from a desk, speakers and monitor, you can make music on your android phone without having to give up anything.How do I make a music player APK? ›
3-Step Guide On How To Create An Mp3 Player App With Andromo
- Choose A Template In Our Easy Start Section. ...
- Customize it, Add Content, Make Monetization Settings. ...
- Build your app and upload it to the app store/Play market.
The best music-making apps for Android in 2022 are:
N-Track Studio 9.1. Caustic 3. Audio Evolution Mobile. G-Stomper Studio.
You don't need a computer science degree, but it'll take some some patience. You don't need to be a coder to create an app. Basic handle of HTML, CSS, Java and C+ will take you a long way, but you can definitely hire designers and front- and back-end developers to help you bring your idea to life.Can I develop an app by myself? ›
If you are looking for how to make an app for free, then developing an app by yourself is definitely the way to go. This first option requires significant time and skills.How much does it cost to make an app for Android? ›
Many factors influence the price, depending on the complexity of the app development, at 40$ per hour, the average cost will be: Simple App Development Cost – $40,000 to $60,000. Average App Development Cost – $60,000 to $150,000. Complex App Development Cost – from $300,000.Can I use my phone to produce music? ›
Music Maker Jam (iOS, Android)
Music Maker Jam is one of most popular applications for making music on Android. This one lets you create your own tracks using various loops and beats.
Bandlab. If you've been looking for a free DAW that can get the job done, look no further than Bandlab. This music creation tool is a true gem for your Android phone due to its ease of use and advanced features, all under a free price tag.What app can I use to create music? ›
A quick list of the best music production apps: Garageband. Songify. Animoog.
How do I create a Play Store app? ›
- If you haven't already, set up a Google account.
- Open your device's Settings app.
- Tap Accounts Add account. Google.
- Follow the instructions to add your account.
- If needed, repeat steps to add multiple accounts.
- Audacity. Audacity is the original free DAW. ...
- Garageband. ...
- Ableton Live Lite. ...
- Tracktion Waveform Free. ...
- Pro Tools First. ...
- Ohm Studio. ...
- Cubase LE. ...
|Google Assistant compatibility||x||Limited|
|Max audio quality||320 kbps||3730 kbps (Ultra HD)|
|Device limit||Offline only: 5 devices||10 devices|
|Songs available||40 million+||50 million+|
- Learn how to write melodies.
- Learn how to write lyrics.
- Download and learn how to use a DAW.
- Record your song using the DAW or write the music within the DAW.
- To do this, set your tempo and key.
- Create a drum beat.
- Add the bassline.